Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Hull Paint....NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

It pains me to say this but the my spray job on the hull isn't up to my standards. I didn't get any sags or runs but I have orange peel to some degree everywhere and overspray in some areas.





So what's next....





Well I've researched "cutting and buffing" or call it "colour sanding". Here are a couple of websites describing the process:

http://www.autobodystore.com/rsw.shtml

http://www.repairnation.com/paint_n_bodywork/buffing/wetsand&buffing2.htm



This is the benefit of Awlcraft over Awlgrip and that's it's ability to be buffed and polished. I figure if your going to race your boat your going to need a paint that can be touched up. With my experience with Awlgrip is you get a tough, beautiful finish but your screwed if you damage it!



So these are pictures of my first attempt at cutting and polishing:



The Transom (took about 1.5 hours to get this result)


This Finish is like a mirror...the kind of result you would expect from a professional sprayed Awlgrip job. I like it so I'll contiinue.


This picture displays the contrast between the cut and buff (the transom) and the aft starboard quarter which has yet to be done.


Same as this picture, look at the clarity of the tree in the transom and the blurry tree in the aft port quarter.

No comments: